Inside my review of the “Mindfulness – A Practical Guide To Finding Peace In A Frantic World” Book, I reveal my pros and cons.
The book is authored by Mark Williams and Danny Penman. It also includes a foreword by Jon Kabat-Zinn. The book itself also comes with a free CD of great guided meditations. Very practical and useful.
Today you are going to find out how this Mindfulness book can potentially help you. As I already mentioned the book comes with a free CD of great guided meditations. The book explains an eight week program learning practical mindfulness techniques. Lets get started with my review of this book and the free CD that comes with the book.
My First Impressions
I started to read this book recently and it makes a lot of sense. I have not got too far into it, but it makes a lot of sense so far. They explain that the process of “feeling not great” can lead to a downward path, and the solution is meditation, however they explain it really well. They also explain the importance of adapting that “life is not a race, not with yourself or with others” attitude.
Overview Of My Review
The book comes with an audio CD that has eight different guided meditations. I have done each of these and must say I am impressed. The speaker has a calm way of explaining things really well.
This is a practical self help book for anxiety and stress.
The book is based on Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT for short). MBCT can help people who are finding life an uphill battle and finding life to be challenging, and maybe because of this, are stressed or anxious or exhausted.
In my opinion, don’t worry too much about what MBCT is. Just know that it is something that is helpful. The scientifically based methods outlined are practical and down to earth.
This book explains things in a way that a normal person can understand and the audio CD that comes with the book contains eight guided meditations. In this book, you “can learn the simple mindfulness meditations at the heart of MBCT. You’ll be surprised by how quickly you can be back in control and able to enjoy life again.”
What is this book about?
This book is about giving you additional information and tools to help you in your battle with anxiety or stress. I repeat myself, you “can learn the simple mindfulness meditations at the heart of MBCT. You’ll be surprised by how quickly you can be back in control and able to enjoy life again.”
Who is this book for?
This is for anyone who wants to be able to be on top of life. Life can be challenging and can throw a lot of things at you. We, including you and I, need tools and methods and techniques based on real world requirements so that we can get back in control and able to enjoy life again.
This book is for anyone who wants to free themselves from anxiety and stress. As Ruby Wax put it, “If you want to free yourself from anxiety and stress, then read this book”.
How this book helped me?
Over the last while, I have learned a lot about stress and anxiety. I purchased this book myself in order to check out for myself does it deliver. I only have the book a short while now, and what I have read so far, I feel that the information is solid. I have also listened to each of the eight audio meditations in the free CD that comes with the book, a number of times and must say I am pleased. I am finding that some of the phrases used in the meditations are really helpful that I have not heard in other meditations by other people.
I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book, especially the eight week Mindfulness Program. And to doing the associated partner meditations at the appropriate times. My gut feeling at this stage, is that it will be time well spent.
Pros of this book
- The free CD contains eight separate different meditation tracks, each one is excellent
- The book comes with an eight week plan
- I find that the content in the book makes a lot of sense
- The scientifically based methods outlined are practical and down to earth.
Cons of this book
- Although the book supplied an alternative web link for the meditations on the audio CD, I had to be a member of another cloud based service in order to do this. I just was not keen to sign up for yet another cloud based service for something that I was supposed to be able to “download for free” with no issues and without exposing my email address to potential spam and the like. It just seemed as an “unexpected and unwelcome” obstacle for me and was a “total turnoff for me”. Luckily for me, after doing some additional online research, I was able to use a process called “ripping” which allowed me to copy the contents of the audio CD over to my laptop. Easy enough when you know how. For a book about helping people reduce anxiety or stress, this issue should not be here. They should have a simple and effective way to allow readers of the book download the eight meditations with no issues and no concerns with no stress and with no anxiety. After all, the book is a bestseller, so they should be able to come up with something.
Why I recommend this book?
At this stage, I have listened to each of the eight guided meditations on a number of occasions and have added them on an ad hoc basis to my daily meditation practice. Mark Williams, who is the speaker on these guided meditations has a very calm voice. He leads each of those eight guided meditations really well. The sound quality on the recordings are excellent.
As I have already mentioned in “my first impressions of this book” section, “The book comes with an audio CD that has eight different guided meditations. I have done each of these and must say I am impressed. The speaker has a calm way of explaining things really well. I know that I am supposed to spend a week or so on each one having read the applicable chapter in the book before hand, however I am keen. I will most likely follow the ‘proper’ order later with the appropriate times.”
I rate the excellent book with free CD, “Mindfulness – A Practical Guide To Finding Peace In A Frantic World” as 4.5 stars out of 5.0 stars.